First deployed in 2006, Archive-It is a subscription web archiving service from the Internet Archive that helps organizations to harvest, build, and preserve collections of digital content. Through our user friendly web application Archive-It partners can collect, catalog, and manage their collections of archived content with 24/7 access and full text search available for their use as well as their patrons. Content is hosted and stored at the Internet Archive data centers.
Who Uses Archive-It?
We work with over 225 partner organizations in 45 U.S. states and 15 countries worldwide. Types of organizations we work with include:
- College and University Libraries
- State Archives, Libraries, and Historical Societies
- Federal Institutions and NGOs
- Museums and Art Libraries
- Public Libraries, Cities and Counties
K-12 Web Archiving Program
If you were a K12 student which websites would you want to save for future generations? What would you want people to look at 50 or even 500 years from now?
These questions are central to the K12 Web Archiving Program, a partnership between the Internet Archive and the Library of Congress. Now in its fourth year, with 5th to 12th graders participating in schools across the country, this program provides a new perspective on saving history and culture, allowing students to actively participate and make decisions about what "at risk" website content will be saved.
About the Internet Archive
Since its inception as a non-profit digital library in 1996, Internet Archive has focused on ensuring the availability and accessibility of human knowledge by creating a digital library to permanently store digital content from all over the world, for anyone to view at any time. The Internet Archive is the world’s largest public web archive, and all collections are freely and publicly accessible at www.archive.org
To learn more about our mission, please visit http://www.archive.org/about/about.php
As of today, Archive-It has collected 5,653,131,701 URLs for
2,097 public collections!
Why Use Archive-It?
The organizations we work with use Archive-It to:
- Support the organization's existing digital preservation activities
- Archive organization and related websites and online publications
- Archive state or local agency websites and records
- Capture elected officials' websites and election events
- Capture publicly available social networking sites: blogs, tweets, photos and comments
- Create a web archive on a specific topic or subject
- Assemble content to aid in research, grant funding, and patron support
- Maintain strong electronic records management system to ensure critical documents are preserved
- Capture "at risk" content on rapidly changing events
- Gather information from the web to enhance traditional collections and exhibits
- Archive artist files, digital collections, online price lists and auction catalogs
- Preservation of law and policy related materials, including Supreme Court activities